A once in a lifetime experience – a chance to surround yourself in the ancient cultures of Tibet and ride through its stunning landscapes on your road bike.
Tibet is one of the world’s greatest travel experiences. Due the historical lack of access for foreigners and it’s stunning Himalayan views, high plateau, monasteries and extraordinary people the region has evoked images of a lost Shangri La.
This part of the world is still politically sensitive and hence travel for foreigners is restrictive (for example you cannot organise your own cycling trip in Tibet – you need a guide and an agent). Despite this Serk have taken the time to carefully craft an experience which will regularly stop you in your tracks and leave you feeling privileged to have explored this unique region before it completely falls into the clutches of modernisation.
We combine challenging and spectacular cycling with a selection of the most rewarding cultural and natural sites. We know the best hotels and have hand picked the greatest places to sample local food. And best of all we provide you with a window to explore ‘real’ Tibet from the seat of your own bicycle and this is where the true rewards lie.
Expect to be blown away with views of Mount Everest and a little overwhelmed when a bunch of Tibetan children run from their villages to high five you on the side of the road. Push yourself to ride up some of the highest sealed roads in the world and grin from ear to ear as fly down the other side of 5000m passes. To help you grasp the depth of Tibetan ancient culture we’ll take you to some of the most spiritual locations revered by Tibetans and juxtapose this with visits to the places which are popular with young urban Tibetans beating a path to a new modern culture.
All together you’ll travel for 13 days, ride up to 880km, climb 6450m, visit 10 interesting towns and see 3 of the 4 regions of Tibet.
Join us on this amazing trip. We guarantee you wont regret it.
Not sure ? Check out the smiling faces from our previous trips here or the video above from 2014.
Cost vary based on numbers of riders and seasonal adjustments in Tibet. Please fill out the form below for a quote.
Cost includes :
- 12 nights accommodation in the best hotels available in the areas we visit – these range from 3 star to 5 star. Twin Share (single supplement available on request).
- 1 welcome dinner in Lhasa + 1 celebration dinner at the end of the trip
- Airport transfers in Lhasa
- Logistics-support vehicles (passenger + safety vehicle as necessary to guarantee a seat for everyone. )
- Services of trip leader, guide, local support staff & bike mechanic
- Tibet Travel Permit & other necessary permits (Everest region) for foreigners
- Entrance fees to Potala Palace, Yamdrok Yumtso Lake, Tashilhunpo Monastery, Mount Everest Park fees.
- Medical Supplies: oxygen bags/bottles; basic 1st-aid kit
- Supplies of bottled drinking water
- Cycling jersey per participant
- High quality handbook (100 pages) available as an e-book
- Coordination meetings & Pre-departure briefings via wechat group
- GPS files for each day’s riding – available for both Garmin devices and Smartphones
Not included :
- Airfare – budget 5000 – 6000 from Beijing if you book early
- Meals not listed above and personal consumption
- Personal consumption – dinner, lunch, snacks, alcohol etc apart from welcome dinner and final dinner
- Tips for Tibetan guide and drivers (budget US$5 per day per rider)
- Bike packing (we can do this for an extra fee if required)
What is expected of the rider :
- Intermediate to advanced cycling skill – experience in climbing / descending and long distance riding (contact us if you are not sure).
- Ability to undertake basic bike maintenance (change your own tubes, pack and unpack your own bike)
- Follow all road rules
- Follow instructions from ride leader at all times
- Ride safely
- To understand that there is a daily time schedule which riders must stick to. If you are too fast you may have to wait or if too slow/ mechanical or other issue you may need to get into our vehicles to catch up with rest of group
- To have undertaken adequate training before the ride so as to not excessively slow down the whole group (if this is the case you may be asked to get into the van/bus at various times to stay on schedule)
Over the warmer months we will organise a series of longer training rides to prepare you for the experience. Stay tuned for details.
Send us an email or contact us via weixin (ID – serkcycling)
Express your interest here. Once we’ve received the form we will send you prices and further information.