The Firecracker is back for the 7th year!
The idea is simple - Serk challenge you to get out of your winter hibernation and start the Lunar New Year with a bang.
Over the official 7 day holiday period (21st - 27th inclusive) we've set up the following challenges;
Ride 400km in 7 days
Run 100km in 7 days
Walk 40km in 7 days
This year again we will use the collective kilometres from the event to raise some funds for a worthy cause.
Serk has selected the Masaka Cycling Club (MCC) project in Uganda East Africa for this years funding goals again. Last year we successfully sent two eight end Serk titanium bikes to Masaka.
The MCC supports upcoming cycling talent in Uganda to overcome adversity and achieve their dreams.
The Firecracker fundraising aim this year to supply the club with a bike workshop, tools and training for mechanics.
- Build workshop infrastructure on the existing Clubhouse location – Estimated RMB30,000
- Fully fit out with full professional suite of tools, benches, racking, compressor, basic spares etc etc – Estimated RMB24,000
- Level 2 UCI Accredited Mechanics Training in South Africa for one Mechanic – Course and Flights Estimated RMB28,000
- Multiple sets of carbon rim brake race wheels for existing SERK Road Bikes and international shipping. – Estimated RMB32,000
Total Fundraising goal - RMB 114,000
How does the fundraising work?
We ask everyone that participates in the Firecracker to pledge an RMB donation per kilometre you ride / run / walk. The amount per kilometre is entirely up to you - 0.25 RMB per kilometre x 400km = 100 RMB for example. If you prefer not to fundraise thats also ok - just get out there and exercise.
At the end of the Firecracker we will tally up your km's and calculate your pledge and ask you to send us money via WeChat.
- You must register on the sign up form at the bottom of the page including your donation pledge (can be zero)
- Warm Climates
If the average temp of your location is 10 degrees or over only 80% of kilometres count towards your total. So you'll need to ride 500km or run 125km to complete the Firecracker
- Indoor rides only count if Air Quality AQI is over 150.
- If you are injured and can not ride outdoors then indoor activities count.
- If it snows and the roads are unsafe to ride on indoor rides count.
- NEW for 2023 (because of extreme cold weather predictions) Indoor rides count if it is -5 degrees or less OR above 30 degrees at 9am.
- For runners and walkers if Air Quality AQI is over 150 you can do an indoor exercise (eg Yoga). For every hour of indoor activity = 10km running, 5km walking. For every hour of indoor riding you can count 25km of cycling.
- For your ride to qualify you must post the data into our database on a daily basis here. The cut off time is 7pm daily. By 10am the following day a tally of all participants and funds raised so far will be posted. If you miss the 7pm deadline your ride will be included in the following day tally
- When posting your data you must use your Firecracker ID which you will be emailed when you sign up below.
- Join our WeChat group to find out about daily Firecracker events, share photos, stories and special giveaways
All finishers of the challenge will have access to the limited edition merchandise from Serk.
Access to a limited edition 'year of the Rabbit' Firecracker Serk titanium stem cap (see pic of previous year caps below). The cost of the cap is 90RMB including shipping within China. This years design concept is shown below.
Runners / Walkers
Access to a limited edition 'year of the Rabbit' shoelace tag.
Detailed images of these products will be shared in the WeChat group and orders can be placed at the end of the event.
If you'd like to join some organised rides and events by the community to help tick off the kilometres here are a few we are aware of as of publishing. More info will be released in the main Firecracker Group.
As of publishing we are aware of the following group rides / organizers (if you'd like to add your rides here please let Serk know)
Beijing : Serk New Years Day Brunch
Sunday 22nd Jan East Hotel Indigo Mall. Contact @Lucas for more info
Beijing : Coffee Ride
Tuesday 24th Jan. Meet up for a coffee ride around Beijing
Beijing : Hulu Indigo After Party
Friday 27th Jan Hulu Indigo Mall. 19.30-22.00 Contact @Luca for more info