The Firecracker is back for the 8th year!
The idea is simple - Serk challenge you to get out of your winter hibernation and start the Lunar New Year with a bang.
Over the official 8 day holiday period (10th - 17th) we've set up the following challenges;
Ride 400km in 8 days
Run 80km in 8 days
Walk 40km in 8 days
Do any other outdoor activity for 16 hours
This year again we will use the collective kilometres from the event to raise some funds for a worthy cause.
Serk has selected the Masaka Cycling Club (MCC) project in Uganda East Africa for this years funding goals again. Last year we successfully built a new bike workshop for the club in Uganda.
The MCC supports upcoming cycling talent in Uganda to overcome adversity and achieve their dreams.
The Firecracker fundraising aim this year to supply the club with a new aero race bike, team helmets, kit bags and other items to help professionalize the team.
- Register on the sign up form at the bottom of this page, including your donation pledge (can be zero).
- Note your Cracker ID, you’ll need it to log activites.
- Log the data into our database on a daily basis here. We post daily totals, so log your activties by 7pm daily or it will go in the following day’s tally.
- China athletes, join our WeChat group to find out about daily Firecracker events, share photos, stories and special giveaways.
- All riders, join our event’s Strava group to connect with more athletes from around the world doing the Firecracker Challenge.
The Firecracker Challenge was born in Beijing, where New Year temperatures are consistently at or below freezing. Getting it done outside in tough conditions is a part of the event’s DNA. Here’s a few rules to guide your planning:
- Warm climate add on – 80% rule.
If the average temp of your location is 10 degrees or over, only 80% of kilometres count towards your total. So you'll need to ride 500km or run 100km to complete the Firecracker. If you’re not on holidays like those of us in China are, then let admin know if you’re going for the 400km or 500km goal.
- Indoor activities only count if Air Quality AQI is over 150 or your location has extreme weather (see below), log your km according to rule #4.
- Extreme weather: If the weather makes you feel unsafe then indoor activities count. Specific triggers for this rule include icy roads or temps below -5 or above 30. We encourage you to dress and plan according to the weather (of all types!) and get out there in all conditions, but we also want you to be safe!
- Equivalent distances for indoor activties: 1 hour cycling = 25km, 1 hour running = 10km, 1 hour walking = 5km.
- Active Challenge participants log by TIME, not distance (just enter “0km” in the form). Any outdoor activity counts, but extreme cold doesn’t get you out of skiing! If you’re not sure how your outdoor activty fits in (7 days of golfing, anyone?) then let admin know and we’ll figure it out.
- If you are injured and can not be active outdoors then indoor activities count.
All finishers of the challenge will have access to the limited edition merchandise from Serk.
Access to a limited edition 'Year of the Dragon' Firecracker Serk titanium stem cap (see pic of previous year caps below). The cost of the cap is 90RMB
Runners / Walkers
Access to a limited edition 'Year of the Dragon shoelace tag, the cost is 40RMB.
Detailed images of these products will be shared in the WeChat group and orders can be placed at the end of the event. Shipping within China is included in the cost and overseas shipping can be arranged for an additional fee.