Serk Cycling Beijing
A : 87km
B : 67km
C : 52km
A : 1400m
B : 0899m
C : 0757m
A : 4/5
B : 3/5
C : 2/5
Saturday July 3
Sign in: 07:00
Depart : 07:30
Arrive Start : 09:00
Return Earliest : 14:30
Return Latest : 17:30
This week's ride in Mentougou is a fair way to the West of the city. It's well worth the trip to explore these back roads. Parts of the course are on narrow concrete roads and travel through villages that seemed to have completely stood still in time. The mountains are still bare and combined with the rocky cliffs in the area create a magnificent backdrop.
The B and C riders will ride the same course however the C riders will be driven the first 15km in the vans. A riders are exploring some serious backroads that are a bit rough so bring your titanium bike!
ALL RIDES THIS WEEK INVOLVE SOME ROUGH ROADS SO BRING EXTRA TUBES.
1. Why should I join ?
Beijing is home to some fine cycling terrain. On the outskirts of the city are kilometres of awesome roads. The air is better out there too.
Get out of the chaos of the city, calm the mind, exercise, and breath in some fresh air. Did we mention you'll meet a ton of cool people as well. Cyclists are a friendly bunch and always welcoming.
2. What sort of bikes do I need ?
You need a road bike with gears. We will be climbing hills so fixies and your regular city bike wont cut it. No mountain bikes either as these don't fit easily together with road bikes in our vans.
If you don't have a bike don't despair - you can rent one from Serk. You'll need to register and pay your ride fee quickly as the hire bikes book out each quickly each week. Bike rental details are available on the Ride Registration form just select "I'd like to rent a bike from Serk"
We also sell road bikes. We recommend that you need a bike worth at least 3000 RMB as a minimum level. Most of our riders have carbon bikes in the range of 10,000 RMB and above. However many started off on low end bikes, got fit and upgraded later on.
3. Who is Serk ?
Serk is a bicycle adventure company.
We organize multiday adventures around China and Central Asia and make awesome bikes and products perfect for use on these trips. Our most popular adventure is to Everest Base Camp.
Check out our trips here.
4. Which ride should I join ?
Each week we try to design each route with following characteristics and rider level and fitness in mind.
Long ride - fast and hard.
1000m - 2000m climbing
35 -40 km/h average speed on flat courses
27-35 km/h average on hilly courses
Join if you are an experienced rider that rides at least 700km per month on average (one long and one short ride a week).
If you are not fit at the moment then join B group till your fitness improves.
Medium distance ride - medium pace
700m - 1500m climbing
30 - 35 km/h average speed on flat courses
20- 27 km/h average on hilly courses
Join if you are an experienced rider that rides at least 350km per month on average (one decent ride a week).
Short distance ride - easy pace
400m - 1000m climbing
20 - 25 km/h average speed on flat courses
15- 20 km/h average on hilly courses
Suitable for beginner riders and riders that would like an easy relaxed pace workout. The C group usually stop along the way for some photos and to regroup and are usually for the first group back to the vans and back into Beijing.
Please note if it is your first ride with Serk please join the C Group. We can then assess your riding level and advise on which group is the most appropriate for you.
5. What happens when I sign up ?
Things are pretty quiet till Friday when we set up a specific group chat for the ride. We share all the info you need on routes and so on in this chat. Check out this page for more info on what happens on the day.
6. Do i need special clothes ?
Regular sports clothing is fine for your first ride. We recommend cycling shorts with padding for extra comfort and a cycling jersey which you can carry phone and spares in. We sell cycling kit in the shop which you can purchase pre-ride.
7. What do I need to bring on the bike ?
You must bring a spare tube, pump and tyre levers so you can change your tube incase of flat tyre. You are expected to be able to change the tyre yourself. If you don't know how check out this video. Also don't forget sunscreen, helmet, water bottle and some snacks to sustain you during the ride.
If this is your first Serk Ride this is how it works !
1. Meet up point is at Ditan Park south area. We meet on the side of Hepingli West raod (see pic below). The meet up time differs between seasons. Check the ride page for the exact meet up time. Leave plenty of time to get here the first time you come :-). If lost give us a call on 134-2647-4634 or 135-0122-5775.
2. When you arrive you will be checked in by a Serk employee. If you are not a member, you will need to pay before the ride to secure your spot in our van. If you can't manage to prepay due to technical reason, you can contact @serkride(wechat ID: serkadmin) beforehand and make the payment in the morning.
3. If you are interested in Serk products eg. Serk jersey, merino products, or other products we still carry, you can contact @serkshop(wechat ID: serkshop) the night before, we can prepare and bring it to you.
4. Put your bike into one of the vans parked on the side of street.
5. When instructed get into the van with your bike in it for the journey out to the mountains.
6. You can bring a bag with you with a change of clothes and some food and leave it in the van while you are riding. When you arrive at the destination in the mountains please pack up your bag and make sure its sealed. You may not be coming back on this same van. The vans leave at different times. The first 8 riders back will fill the first van and leave back to the city. Next 8 fill the next van, and so on till everyone goes back to the city. Our staff will move the bags out of the vans so that when you come back from your ride your bag will be ready to pick up.
7. We do not stop for lunch in the middle of the ride so you’ll want to bring some snacks to carry with you while you’re riding and a bottle or two of water. Sometimes the group makes a pit stop at a shop along the ride but it doesn’t always happen. Make sure you have enough water for a few hours of riding (usually 1 bottle per hour is sufficient). It is important to have a well balanced meal before the ride and snack in the middle of the ride to keep your energy levels up.
8. Bring sunscreen and don’t be afraid to apply a lot!
9. If you are hiring a bike we suggest you come by the Serk studio at Fangjia Hutong No.46 on Friday to get fitted on your hire bike so we aren’t monkeying around with it during check in time. If you can’t make it on Friday then please come 30mins before departure so we can set you up and explain how it works.
Things to prepare.
- Helmet must be used by all participants. If you hire a bike its your responsibility to bring a helmet also. If you need a helmet we also hire them and sell them (contact us in advance)
- Make sure your bike is in good working order – we are not responsible for broken down bikes.
- Bring a spare tube, tyre levers and pump incase you have a flat tire during the ride. If you are not sure how to change a tyre check out this video.
- Bring a charged phone in case of emergency
What to Bring.
- Bike helmet
- Spare change of clothes (if you want to get changed)
- Full bottles of water
- Snacks for the road
- Cash for purchasing snacks along the road and in case of emergency (we recommend 100 rmb)
- Tools to fix your bike. A small multi-tool is usually enough
We prepare a route for each week and its important that you have put that route on your Garmin or Wahoo device or on your smartphone.
Instructions are here https://www.serk.cc/device/
We are happy to have you join us on a ride and we hope you have an awesome time!
If you have any further question, contact @serkride(wechat ID: serkadmin) on wechat.
Serk Ride is the largest expat Cycling Club in Beijing. We have over 300 active members and regularly have 30-50 riders for each ride.
Each weekend is a new adventure with over 50 curated routes on offer. We take pride in helping you to discover Beijing's amazing mountain roads and landscapes. It's cycling heaven.
Serk HQ is in Fangjia Hutong No.46, we sell bikes and accessories.
Serk Ride Pass
We offer different ride pass. The passes are valid for the whole year, and any remaining rides you have left at the end of the year will expire.
Over the course of the year there are at least 40 Weekend rides and other opportunities to join our mid-week and blue sky day rides.
All the info on ride passes can be found here.
Please note that if you have booked a ride with us we expect you to show. We understand that it is sometimes not possible due to personal reasons and sometimes due to bad pollution. Here is our official policy
36 hours notice - no cancellation fee
If you’d like to cancel your participation in a Serk event please do so 36 hours before the event starts. For example for an event that starts at 6.30am on Saturday you have up till 6.30pm Thursday to cancel. There is no cost if you cancel with 36 hours notice.
24 hours notice - 50% fee
If you cancel at least 24hours before the start of the event we expect 50% of the event fee to be paid.
Less than 24 hours notice - full fee
If you cancel with 24 hours of the event we expect the full fee to be paid
If the AQI levels are above the following amounts 1 hour before the start of the planned event Serk may cancel the event. If the event still goes ahead each participant has the choice to participate. If you decide not to participate because levels are too high for you there is no cancellation fee.
However if the levels are below these limits and you decide not to participate because they are higher than your personal limits you will still be required to pay the full fee. If in doubt cancel 24h or 36h before.
Rides starting in the city - AQI over 150
Rides starting in the mountains (i.e. drive out of city) - AQI over 250
Levels are the US Embassy readings which can be found here http://www.stateair.net/web/post/1/1.html
If the weather is looking bad Serk may cancel the ride. Its possible to ride in almost all types of weather so bad weather does not mean the ride will be cancelled. If ride is not cancelled and you don’t turn up we still expect payment unless you cancel with 24h or 36h notice. If you are concerned about weather please keep an eye on the forecast the days before and cancel in advance.
For the wind geeks here is the wind forecast for the next 9 days. (only works with VPN on). This was developed especially for predicting days which were suitable to ride by friend Dustin Grzesik in 2013. Infact it was one of the first wind prediction tools (if not the first) in Beijing. The wind data source is from Norway (yr.no.) We use it religiously to predict the quality of the air in the city and out in the mountains. If the wind is blowing from the North and over 10kph expect an AQI of under 50 in the city. With less windspeed its often also excellent quality air in the mountains.
You can use this data to decide when to ride and understand Beijing's wind and pollution patterns.